Sunday 4 November 2007

Home Again


Well, back home again after the operation. Sore, but otherwise doing pretty well, all things considered. No sciatic pain whatsoever, all that's left is a fairly dull pain where the surgeon actually cut into me. I have to say that it was quite a bizarre experience. They took me down to theatre, I started chatting with one of the nurses while the anaesthetist was doing something with my hand. The conversation had somehow got onto the subject of beer when the anaesthetist said "you are going to feel a small scratch now", next thing I know I'm wide awake in the recovery room and it's all over and done with and two hours of my life had suddenly disappeared! Never felt anything quite like it, not even under the influence of vast quantities of alcohol. Fortunately, I woke up in plenty of time for lunch and, having not eaten sine eight the night before, I was famished!! They still had me hooked up to a drip and some self dosing morphine thing, which was pretty cool, feel pain, press button, pain goes, wish it was always that easy! Anyway, after a couple of days of looking after me they decided I was fine to go home and sent me away with a whole list of things I'm not supposed to do for a while, some of which, I have to say, I'm going to miss a damn sight more than the others. Hey ho, there's more than one way to skin a cat, as my grandad used to say.....

No comments: