Tuesday 17 February 2009

Money Money Money


Well, it's half term week and I'm looking after the little man for a few days. It's a great excuse to watch cartoons and play with the Scalextrix! He loves to go to Toys r Us and was emptying his wallet and asking me how much the contents would be able to buy there. As the sum total in there was about 4 quid I had to advise him "not a lot!!".
Anyway, I thought it was about time I tried to teach him something about the value of money, so I sat him on my knee, picked up one of his pound coins and asked him if he knew how many of them it took for us to be able to live in this house each month. His reply was "Four?".
"No mate", I said, "just to put this roof over our heads takes over 900 of these". He squealed in wonder "900?? WOW!!"
I continued "And then there's over a 100 each month for the council, 60 for the gas and electric, more for the water and there's loads go on food too!!"
He was somewhat stunned by this revelation, saying "that's lots and lots, Daddy!"
I was pretty stunned too, so I'm now off for a little lie down...

No comments: